The rate at which the world is growing seems to be geometric. Mega cities are springing up everywhere with their population well over millions of people. This number keeps on increasing due to the fact that people in the rural areas keep on migrating to these mega cities. As people are moving from one place to place, the need for transporting these people crops up. The moment transportation of people are things comes up, one’s mind settles on the various forms of transportation, that is whether one decides to go by air, land or sea. With each of these forms of transportation, there is the use of fossil fuels and with the use of these fossil fuels; our environment is exposed to constant pollution. The effects of this pollution needs not be told again as there has been numerous campaigns towards ensuring that we get to live in a world free from pollution at its effects. Through pollution from machines using fossil fuel as its main source of energy, the quality of air that we breathe is reduced to the barest minimum and this causes a lot of problems for the entire world populace.
Finding solutions to the problem of pollution
The world has always been on its toes in a bid to finding lasting solutions to the constant problem posed by pollution from all the machines using any of the energy derived from fossil fuels. This is evident in the anti-pollution campaigns which are now a very common thing to come across these days. Governments are coming up with anti-pollution regulations all aimed at helping to curb the problem of pollution.
Though it did look like the war against pollution was not one to be worn by the world, recent developments have led us to believe otherwise. The tide has now turned in the favor of the world with the introduction of vehicles that do not emit these dangerous substances into the atmosphere. These vehicles have been designed to use electricity as its main source of energy and they are referred to as Electric Vehicles.
Electric Vehicles (EV)
An electric vehicle, also known as electric drive vehicle, is a vehicle that uses electric motors instead of gasoline engine as its main source of energy that propels it. These are vehicles that are mainly powered by electric motors or traction motors.
During the 19th century, electricity became one of the trusted sources of energy for vehicles as it offered users some kind of ease of use as compared to those that were powered by fossil fuel.
Features of an electric vehicle
- They are powered by electricity
- They do not emit any harmful substances into the atmosphere
- They make use of batteries or generators which ensures that electric current into energy for the vehicle.
These features of the EVs make them an ideal candidate for the war against Internal Combustion Engines (ICE) which emits very harmful substances into the atmosphere whenever they are used.
Can Electric Vehicles solve the problem of pollution?
When one takes a closer look at the advantages of these Electric Vehicles, you get convinced that Electric Vehicles do really offer us a very powerful tool in the war against pollution.
Though these Electric Vehicles fall short when it comes to its ability to embark on very long journeys, that is, it cannot be taken on very long journeys to places that do not have recharging facilities as the batteries can only sustain the vehicle on short journeys, it remains a matter of time before a way is found to curb this problem.
Taking a look at the advantages and disadvantages of electric vehicles provides one with a clear picture of what these vehicles are and what they do offer to any potential user
Advantages of electric vehicles
- It does not make use of gas
- They also offer the user the ability to certain incentives for opting to go green and save a lot of money which would have been spent in buying gasoline
- They do not emit any harmful substances into the air
- The total number of users of electric vehicles keeps on increasing significantly
- They are also very affordable these days as compared to the olden days when they were very costly
- Their engines do not need the kind of constant servicing usually associated with internal combustion engines
- They also do not produce the kind of noise that gasoline powered vehicles produce
Disadvantages of electric vehicles
- There are not many places around where one can recharge his or her electric vehicle
- It raises your electricity bill for every month by a huge margin
- They cannot be used to go on very long journeys and also do have a designated speed limit
- It takes a very long time for the battery to be properly recharged
- It cannot accommodate a total number of passengers that is more than two
- They cannot be used in places where constant power supply is not guaranteed
How has the world reacted to Electric Vehicles?
Electric Vehicles are seen as the surest way to having an environment that is free from pollution from the numerous Internal Combustion Engines around. This can be seen in the regulations of certain countries with some of them having places within their cities where only Electric Vehicles are allowed.
The total number of Electric Vehicles currently being used in various parts of the world has also increased drastically with Nissan supplying customers with over one hundred thousand units of their Nissan Leaf model as of November 2014.
After going through the this article and getting a clear idea of what electric vehicles do bring to the table, it does not take very much to get convinced that electric vehicles are really up there when it comes to finding lasting solutions to the constant problem of pollution posed by these internal combustion engines. It all comes down to when these vehicles will finally be commercialized. And that can be said to be very soon.